UPDATE: Tomorrow, Tuesday, October 1st , is the runoff election for NYC Public Advocate. Please join me in voting for Daniel Squadron again in this second round.
The turnout is expected to be extremely low – likely less than 5%. So there will be no lines, and your vote really makes a difference. Polls will be open tomorrow from 6AM – 9PM. You can find your poll site at http://nyc.pollsitelocator.com.
Below is my original endorsement of Squadron from the Primary election. Since then, he has been endorsed by the New York Times, the Daily News, and many others.
Public Advocate is a weird job. The office’s direct mandate is unclear, other than in appointing members of various boards and succeeding the mayor in the event of a mid-term vacancy. That said, it can do a great deal of good for New Yorkers. The Public Advocate’s impact depends to large degree on the individual’s vision for the office, and their ability to achieve results with little actual power.
By these measures, State Senator Daniel Squadron is the clear choice.
Daniel Squadron is one of the most intelligent, effective, and tireless public servants I have ever seen. He has been my State Senator for five years. In that time he has accomplished a remarkable amount. With little seniority, and most of the time in the minority, Squadron has passed important legislation, helped to improve the seemingly hopeless culture of failure in Albany, and been on the ground for our neighborhoods every time he was needed. His office staff is effective, responsive, and everywhere in the district.
- Squadron wrote legislation that banned military-style assault weapons and helped ban high capacity gun magazines and require background checks for gun and ammunition purchases.
- Squadron has fought for and won major improvement to NYCHA housing. His work secured one-time federal funding of about $400 million and an annual $75 million in federal funds in perpetuity.
- Squadron is the Senate sponsor of GENDA (the Gender Expression Non-Discrimination Act) – a key piece of civil rights legislation for New York.
- Squadron mediated between advocates and the administration to end the outrageous policy of charging rent to homeless families in City shelters.
- Squadron has led the charge to end the worst practices of Stop-and-Frisk. He sponsors the bill to undo the racist disparity in New York’s marijuana laws.
- Squadron organized community pressure to get the MTA to conduct “Full Line Reviews” for the first time in the NYC Subway’s history. This has resulted in dramatic service improvements to the F, L, and G trains.
- Squadron is the leader in the NYS legislature on traffic safety, passing “Haley and Diego’s Law” to crack down on reckless driving.
All of that (and more) is what he did in Albany. Here in the city Squadron was just as tireless. This was most clear during and after Superstorm Sandy. When we were without power for days on end, Squadron and his office were organized, effective, and accessible from the start. When we needed information or resources, Squadron’s office was the best place to call every time. He organized a huge relief effort in the Lower East Side, and helped tens of thousands of homebound residents in a time of need.
Daniel also has the most compelling vision for the Public Advocate’s office – as a voice for the most vulnerable New Yorkers. His priorities include child welfare, the juvenile justice system and protecting the rights and safety of detainees in city jails. It is all well within the limited confines of the Public Advocate’s office, and all very important to New Yorkers. You can read his full plan for the office here: http://squadronfornewyork.com/plan.
Daniel Squadron is a leader. Not of the sort who gives speeches (not his strong suit) or holds press conferences. Daniel Squadron is a leader who identifies problems, works collaboratively to find solutions, and then makes them happen.
The New York Times recently endorsed Squadron, writing “He promises to fight for the city’s ‘overlooked orphans in our political system’ — just what a public advocate should do.”
I will be proudly voting for Daniel Squadron for Public Advocate on Tuesday, October 1st. I ask you to join me. Thank you.